Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

Tennessee Blogs

Frequently Used Tools:




Apr 24, 2008

Final Thoughts on the Year


For the past two weeks, I've been listening to Elliot Smith, smoking too much, sleeping too little, and wearing myself thin.

I'm sitting at my desk right now, buried in ink and dusty hardbacks, next to a half-empty bottle of Mountain Dew and a box of Cheez-Its. I turned in twenty pages of research this morning and took a physics test at eight. Went to bed at two, woke up at five to study, but for now, I am done. What's more, that was the last push. I'm three exams and a portfolio away from falling asleep on a flight home.

This year has flown by, and I know people always say that, but it has. I've met so many people and started so many relationships that it will be strange to go home and not have any of them around me anymore. I've learned more in the past two semesters than in my four years of high school. I've written well over two-hundred pages for different classes/blogs/job applications and read...well, a lot. I've spent countless hours either on the phone or on Facebook with my friends from high school. And the time that I've spent purposefully not doing any of those things accounts for most of my college career thus far.

To those of you who are still deciding whether or not to come to UT:
No matter where you go, it will turn out in a way that you can't predict and don't expect. This is not to say that it's not a life-changing decision and you shouldn't bother about it. It's only to say that college won't change your life the way you thought it would, so if you are looking for the one place that will make you happy and give you everything you ever wanted, it doesn't exist. You have to get that from somewhere else. Choose a college based upon the one you think will give you the most opportunity to change.

To those of you who are coming to UT next year:
I'll see you then. I hope that, after a year, this university means as much to you as it does to me. I hope you meet people here who will change the course of your life forever. I hope you find who you are here, and, what's more important, find something or someone to which you can give your life. In short, I hope that you find contentment. Let me know if I can help.

To everyone else (Mom, Dad, brothers, friends, employers, and those UT students who are bored out of their minds and surfing the site):
Thank you for giving me a constant audience and a purpose in writing. I'll see you next year, unless you are my family, in which case I will see you in a week.

• • •

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home